Americans Urged to Dispose of Faulty Smoke Detectors Following Urgent Recall

The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recently issued a warning to Americans who have purchased CHZHVAN Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors, urging them to immediately discard the product. The recall, which was issued on May 16, was prompted by reports of the detectors failing to operate in the presence of smoke.

According to the CPSC, approximately 6,800 CHZHVAN detectors are affected by the recall. The agency received five reports of the product failing to activate, raising concerns about the detectors’ reliability in emergency situations. While no injuries have been reported thus far, the CPSC is advising consumers to dispose of the product as a precautionary measure.

The CHZHVAN combination detectors, which were sold on Amazon by a company called haikouhuidishangmaoyouxiangongsi, are described as white plastic devices measuring about four inches in diameter. The front of the detectors features a black plastic circle with a digital display in the center, with the word “CHZHVAN” printed above it. The back of the detectors includes slots for AAA batteries and a label with the model number and battery specifications.

In response to the recall, the CPSC has expressed frustration with the lack of cooperation from the China-based company that sold the faulty detectors. While most recalls are typically conducted in cooperation with the company, the CPSC has been forced to issue public warnings due to the company’s non-compliance with the recall process.

It is recommended that Americans replace their smoke detectors every 10 years and conduct monthly tests to ensure they are functioning correctly. Additionally, batteries should be replaced every six months to maintain optimal performance.

In light of this recall and other recent CPSC warnings, it is crucial for consumers to stay informed about potential safety hazards associated with household products. Vigilance and prompt action are key to ensuring the safety and well-being of individuals and families across the country.